ADA Officers, Trustees Installed
“My responsibility this year is to represent you, promote your policies and facilitate your business,” the new president told the House. “I am honored that you have given me that responsibility and look forward to working with you.”
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon and a practicing dentist for 38 years, Dr. Tankersley is a graduate of the Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry. Before he was chosen president-elect at the 2008 annual session, he served four years on the Board of Trustees, representing the 16th Trustee District.
In balloting Oct. 5, the House chose Dr. Raymond Gist of Grand Blanc, Mich., as ADA president-elect for 2009-10. A general dentist who represented the 9th District as a member of the Board of Trustees, Dr. Gist is the first African-American to hold the office of president-elect. He will succeed Dr. Tankersley as president at next year’s annual session in Orlando, Fla.
“Thank you for putting your trust in me,” said Dr. Gist, addressing the House moments after his election. “You have made history.”
Elected as ADA second vice president Oct. 5 was Dr. A.J. Smith of Salt Lake City.
Also elected were House Speaker J. Thomas Soliday; Treasurer Edward Leone Jr.; 3rd District Trustee Charles Weber; 4th District Trustee Maxine Feinberg; 5th District Trustee Don Seago; and 9th District Trustee Dennis Engel.
Brief biographies of those elected:
- Dr. J. Thomas Soliday, Gaithersburg, Md., has served the ADA as speaker since his election in 2002. He was parliamentarian for the Maryland State Dental Society and speaker for the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons’ House of Delegates. He is a past president of the MSDA, Southern Maryland Dental Association and Maryland Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Dr. Edward Leone Jr., a general dentist in Thornton, Colo., served as the ADA 14th District trustee from 1999-2003 and was an ADA delegate. He holds an MBA and a certificate in financial planning and is a registered financial consultant. He is a past president and past treasurer of the Colorado Dental Association. Other past appointments include the ADA Board of Trustees’ finance and administrative review committees; chair of the CDA Council on Governmental Affairs; member of the Council on ADA Sessions and chair of the ADA Reference Committee on Budget, Business and Administrative Matters in 2005.
- Dr. A.J. Smith, Salt Lake City, is a past chair of the ADA Council on Dental Practice who has also served a 19-year term as an ADA delegate or alternate delegate. Dr. Smith is an ADA Success Program speaker, past member of the National Board Test Construction Committee and past president of the Utah Dental Association. He holds memberships in the International College of Dentists, the American College of Dentists, Academy of Dentistry International, Pierre Fauchard Academy and the Pankey Institute.
- Dr. Charles R. Weber, West Chester, Penn., has served the ADA on the Council on Dental Practice and Council on ADA Sessions and as an ADA delegate. He is a past president of the Pennsylvania Dental Association, Second District Dental Association and Dental Society of Chester County and Delaware County. He is also a former general chairman of the Valley Forge Dental Conference. He is a fellow in the American College of Dentists, International College of Dentists and Pierre Fauchard Academy.
- Dr. Maxine Feinberg, Cranford, N.J., has served the ADA as chair and vice chair of the Council on Members Insurance and Retirement Plans, as an ADA delegate and initiated the New Jersey Give Kids A Smile Campaign. She is a past president of the New Jersey Dental Association and Union County Dental Society and a member of the New Jersey State Dental Medicaid Advisory Committee. She is a fellow in the American College of Dentists and International College of Dentists.
- Dr. Donald L. Seago, Jackson, Miss., has served the ADA as chair of the 5th District Caucus, as a member of the Reference Committee on Dental Education and Related Matters and as an ADA delegate. He is a past president of the Mississippi Dental Association and has served the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons as a trustee and as a delegate. He is a former lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy.
- Dr. Dennis W. Engel, Mequon, Wis., has served as a member of the ADA Council on Communications, the Salable Materials review panel, the Strategic Planning Committee and the ADA’s External Communications Task Force. He is a past president of the Wisconsin Dental Association, current editor of the WDA Journal, and a treasurer of the state association’s political action committee. Dr. Engel received a Distinguished Editor Award from the ADA Council on Communications in 2002 and is a fellow of the American College of Dentists, the International College of Dentists and the Pierre Fauchard Academy.
Other Association officials include: Dr. Thomas E. Sullivan, who moves from second to first vice president this year; Dr. Robert A. Faiella, 1st District trustee; Dr. William R. Calnon, 2nd District trustee; Dr. W. Ken Rich, 6th District trustee; Dr. Charles L. Steffel, 7th District trustee; Dr. Dennis E. Manning, 8th District trustee; Dr. Edward J. Vigna, 10th District trustee; Dr. Mary Krempasky Smith, 11th District trustee; Dr. R. Wayne Thompson, 12th District trustee; Dr. Russell I. Webb, 13th District trustee; Dr. Kenneth Versman, 14th District trustee; Dr. S. Jerry Long, 15th District trustee; Dr. Charles H. Norman, 16th District trustee; and Dr. Samuel B. Low, 17th District trustee.